The 2018 story collection from Kansas Writers Association has just been released.
Sonny Collins announces that his novelette, A Valentine for Venus, is now available as a Kindle book at Amazon.
A romantic and fun little novelette about what happens when Venus and Cupid bet on who can make someone fall in love first. To make it fair, their grandfather, Zeus, decides to forbid them the use of magic and then goes a step farther by sending them both to Earth as neighbors to a teenage girl and her widowed father – who are also his chosen mortals for this little experiment. They each have two weeks to help their subject fall in love by midnight on Valentine’s Day. Of course things get a bit complicated when Venus realizes her mortal might be falling for her instead of the woman she has chosen for him. Cupid, on the other hand, seems to have the entire high school under his influence. Or does he?
Randy Atwood has two pieces of news to share. His newest release, The Fat Cat: A Noir Mystery, was recently published in paperback and ebook form. It is available as a paperback at Amazon and as Kindle ebook.
In addition, Randy shares that his sales of his novella “The Saltness of Time” have put it into the top 100 of its subcategory in the Kindle Store.
My new book on novel writing is just out and I’m running a FREE eBook promo on Amazon (today 9/8 and tomorrow 9/9 only).
StoryMasters—Advanced Notions in Novel Writing is a complete rethinking and remaking of the eighth edition of Novel Writing Made Simple, it’s the first major revision since Edition Seven in 2010.
This is one of the most comprehensive reference and resource books on novel writing available, with complex concepts broken down into the most basic of terms.
- When was the last time you saw subtext discussed in a novel-writing book? It’s in StoryMasters!
- What about free indirect discourse—have you ever seen that broken down and given in simple terms so that you understood it and could recognize how important FID is to your writing? It’s in the book!
- Do you even know what psychic distance is? Just sayin’—z’in the book!
- Need to research a writing concept for the next writers’ meeting? In the book!
- Having trouble with point of view and need a refresher? It’s in the book!
- Your characters seem too flat and unreal, and you want to know more about writing 3D characters that will leap off the page? The book is where you’ll find it!
- Don’t know what direction your story is headed and need help with plotting? Got it right there in the book!
- Bogged down or completely stuck halfway into your story and in search of a pathway out of the mucky middle (muddle)? Ditto!
- Want to find out how to make a novel notebook like Storybinder that will keep all your story ideas in one place? Yep—ITB!
- Want to brainstorm your story in order to develop it more and flesh it out? It’s in the book!
- NaNoWriMo’s coming up—do you know what StoryStormer is and how it can help you write your story quickly? Check it out in the book!
- Want to develop emotional subplots to help characterize but don’t know how? Af-firm-a-tive!
- Want a bang-up opening without a bomb going off? Si-si!
- Want a comprehensive lexicon of over 500 words to help you understand the craft and business of novel writing? Roger that!
- Want to read over a hundred quips from bestselling writers and celebrities about writing and entertaining? Of course, it’s in the book!
- What about Grandma’s recipe for her luscious apple pie—do you think it’s in the book? No, silly! You’ll have to ask Grandma for that … but if you need a clear and effective recipe for writing gripping suspense … you guessed it—it’s in … the … book!
- What about writing dynamic dialogue, imagery, interactive setting, skillfully shifting tenses, shifting narrative mode and point of view, simple editing techniques, manuscript formatting, an overview of the traditional publishing business and how to query an agent? Uh-huh … need I say more?
Our August 15th meeting will be a discussion on how to prepare your book for publication.
Sonny Collins, a KWA member-at-large and the unofficial historian, will be explaining how to set up your book for publication with Lulu Press and Amazon. He might also touch on developing audio books as well.
Everyone is welcome to attend these meetings, whether or not you’ve scribbled for years or are thinking about finally sitting down to write that book you’ve always dreamed about. Our members bring a wealth of experience, and we look forward to hearing from them at each and every meeting!
KWA holds monthly workshops the 3rd Saturday of every month from 1:30 – 4:00 at Rockwell Public Library, 5939 E. 9th Street, Wichita, KS.
We also hold “write-ins” every Monday evening at McAlister’s Deli, 330 N. Rock Road. Come by and say hello!
What an experience this has been helping to create my first book video in connection with Goddess Fish Promotions. This was created for my medieval romance released May 7, Their Lady Gloriana, which is available as both a paperback and a Kindle ebook at Amazon, as well as with my publisher Black Velvet Seductions. The video can be seen on my Starla Kaye website or at YouTube by searching for Their Lady Gloriana.
E-book sales continue growing wherever you look.
Barnes & Noble announced that e-book sales are more than double that of print book sales. As of January 29, they estimated they have 25% of the e-book market with Nook sales.
Amazon reports that sales of Kindle e-books now outnumber traditional paperback sales. They stated that for every 100 paperbacks sold they sell 115 Kindle titles. E-book sales now outnumber hardcover sales by a three-to-one margin.
News summarized from Publishers Weekly and Fierce Mobile Content.
We have been hearing talk about this new software update that will have real page numbers and a couple other improvements. The update is almost here! The update will be delivered via a Wi-Fi connection in the next few days. Kindle owners should be receiving a notice in their email about what to do.
In case you miss/missed the notice, the instructions are simple. “To receive the update, please turn your wireless on and connect to an available Wi-Fi network. The software update will automatically download in the background and install when your Kindle goes into sleep mode. The update should take less than 10 minutes to complete.”
If you don’t have a Wi-Fi connection available, there are other instructions on how to transfer the update via USB.
Personally, I have had fairly good success this last year with my books listed at Amazon, especially the Kindle books. But they do like to play around with publishers and consequently authors and how they treat them in regards to royalties.
I was reading a post from OWFI today that went over some of what Amazon does about royalties. They offer publishers two different percentages: 35% and 70%. For a book to qualify for the 70% royalty it must have a minimum price of $2.99.
Amazon has recently joined in on the “lending book” stuff that Barnes and Noble also does. If the book meets the qualifications to receive a 70% royalty, the book is now automatically signed up for Amazon’s Kindle Lending Program. What this means is that a Kindle owner can purchase a copy of the book and then lend the copy to another Kindle owner for a week or so. And that, in turn, means the author and publisher miss out on that additional sale of the book.
A publisher can opt out of being part of the Lending Program, but then the royalty on the book is lowered to 35%.
Just something to think about and check into with your publisher.